Back to SD40 page

 

The amount of work Southern Pacific locos take! Light packages, gyralites to simulate.... no wonder I don't have many SP locos on the layout yet! With this loco, I tried to recreate the rebuilt version, dubbed SD40R's. I custom made some MU stands on the nose and put some access hatches on the dynamic brake blister taken from an IM tunnel motor. I also milled the frame at the nose and put in an LED. This one became the headlight, and the stock LED was configured into a gyralite. Because of this, I figured this loco would always be in the lead, so I stuffed in an Engineer. I also wanted to put him in there due to one of the photo's I was working from. Now the precedence has been set for the gyralite, so all future SP locos will get them, and I'll also have to go back and redo my previous locos. Fun!
Details include:
BLMA cut levers, MU hoses, Air hoses, windshield wipers, sunshades, wind deflectors, lift rings
renumbered with Microscale decals
NSN plow
modified Atlas horn
NSN front and rear light packages
custom made large MU hose stands
Sunrise Ent. large MU hose
Atlas bell
dynamic brake access hatches taken from an IM tunnel motor
custom made arm rests
custom made brake lines on the trucks
Weathered with paint and chalks
Z scale couplers
Digitrax DZ123 decoder

 

Stock

 

Detailed

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to SD40 page

 

 

 

All material on The Owens Valley Subdivision website is Copyright 2007-2010 by Michael Stoner. None of the material (including text and photographs) on this web site may be reproduced in any form without prior written permission.